Wednesday, February 23, 2011

'It's like we have our own Landfill...'

Hello my lovely readers! (Of which there was almost 50 of today!)
Today was a good day but I'm a bit tired!
I got up like usual to go to work for 8, and sorted donations for the morning.
Marc-Andre came eventually and requested we take photos of our personal landfill.
When I say I sorted donations this means I open boxes or garbage bags of people's donations, check to see if they are clean enough, fold them, put them into like piles, and then put them in a new garbage bag, label it, in French, and then put it in a bin and someone takes it to a room in the basement and throws it on the other 100 already sorted bags to eventually use in the second store, or send to Africa.
So we took photos of the fruits of our labours for the last 3 months.
Observe.







My morning break got skipped however because we went to the local church where the homeless shelter has a recreation centre for the homeless and we set up tables, one for each type of clothing, pants, shirts, socks, whatever. Then we opened it up to the homeless and low incomed from 12-3pm. When they came in they were handed a garbage bag, and a small piece of paper which they had to get initialed at each table to say they had taken an acceptable amount of clothing. It was really crazy to see, it was completely packed for all 3 hours. I ended up speaking a lot of French and it called for quick understanding! My most common phrases of the day in French was 'Mens shirts are here, womans shirts are there.'




Yesterday was our French evaluations, and it was so much harder than I expected!
She asked me my birthday, where I was born, the time, the temperature, my job in Vander, my job in Quebec, if I liked Katimavik, and what we've done in Quebec so far. Funny part is I understood 90% of it, answered in full sentences, and moved from a 0 out of 5 to a 2! (And the biligual people have like 3s... soo..) Yay me! I guess Katimavik really does help you learn your other language.
Tomorrow is my second last day of work, and we have free time I think. Marc-Andre wanted to experience working at night, so he's working 4-10 pm and I'm doing my usual 8am-2pm.
On Monday morning at 3:30 am our lovely Sara left us and will be gone for the next two days. She had to do a comfirmation for her friends daughter or something. The morning she left I told her to wake me up and we took a goodbye photo together.
Aren't we cute?

Me gots me morning face on. aahaha! (:
Butttt... I'm super tired.
I'm going to take a shower, drink hot chocolate anddd go to sleep! Ahaha. 6 day left of Katimavik, hasn't quite hit me yet, but I think I'm ready to come home.
xoxoxox,

No comments:

Post a Comment