Monday, February 28, 2011

Festi-Glisse!


Hello again!
On Saturday morning we woke up at 7 to go volunteer at 9 for the Festival of Ice at Sara and Jared's volunteer placement. We all have different assignments such as photographs, selling refreshments, renting out skates and tubes, and Sarah, Zoe and I got to face paint!
At first I was really, really nervous. I had never face painted before, and we all know how I barely passed Junior High Art class, so the first two faces I painted I hyperventilated and prayed that when they looked in the mirror they wouldn't cry. But it turned out after a little while, I wasn't doing too shabby! The kids seemed happy when they saw my artwork on their face and it put a smile on my face!

I ended up doing 2 spidermen, 2 spiders, 2 princesses, a dolphin, 3 hearts, 2 flowers, a panda, a cat and about 500 butterflies. I was pretty surprised, as I thought about two people would want their faces painted but we pretty much had non-stop people from 12-3.
The best part about face painting was that it was indoors!! Many of the activities were outside and the group had to switch and do shifts because it was so cold! -25 for a few hours is certainly not the most enjoyable time spent, and it was slightly alarming when they came inside and their water bottles had frozen.
However, due to the volunteering we got to wear these attractive red fleece vests, and obnoxiously long toques, so we kinda pulled those off with A LOT of class.




And in the few moments we didn't have kids who wanted their faces painted some of us got a little creative aha.


After we had finished working we grabbed a group picture minus eve and zoe because they had to house manage, and Melony Sara and Jared's boss bought us cookies and pop. Cute!

For our last volunteering oppertunity, we all really enjoyed it. Despite the cold weather we all realized it was our last chance to volunteer in the community and the time passed quickly and we had a lot of fun.
Up next, debriefing!
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment